The other day I was driving down Highway 183, the way I always do, sort of just humming along and not really paying attention. I pulled up to a light and I noticed this silver farm trailer next to me. It had a sign on it that read: "Bevo" but I didn't think anything about it, since everything around here (usually) has a sign on it that reads "Bevo." Everything in Austin is "Bevo" this or "Bevo" that. It's hard *not* to find a Bevo sign somewhere, right? So, I kind of just ignored it.
But then, as I sat at the light and studied it a bit, I noticed that the trailer was actually quite over-sized. This trailer was way too big for a horse. And then I stopped to read the writing on the side of the truck that was pulling the trailer. It read something about the University of Texas Silver Spurs. Then, as I looked even closer, that's when I saw the giant horn. And that's when I realized it actually was Bevo, sitting there at the light next to me.
Yes, you read that right. I was actually parked next to Bevo. That Bevo. The *real* Bevo. Wow. Who knew? BEVO! Hello, Bevo! (He's kind of cute in person, though I would not want to get on the business end of those horns, if you know what I mean.)
Now, for those of you who don't know who Bevo is, here are some Bevo facts:
- As I have already hinted, he's a horny guy.
- Though he stands a mere five feet eight inches tall, he's quite large and not the kind of fellow you'd want to engage in a barroom brawl. Think brawn here.
- He once got loose and created quite a ruckus, scattering an entire marching band and attacking cheerleaders.
- He's really into body piercings. In fact, I have it on good authority he has a ring right through his nose.
- Though he doesn't know how to cook, if he were caught inside a McDonald's, he's make quite a few hamburgers. Quite a few actually.
- Though he's cute to look at, you should never listen to him because he's full of BS. Seriously (literally.)
In case you haven't guessed by now, Bevo is the official mascot of UT. He is a Texas longhorn steer with burnt orange coloring. You can read more about Bevo, even see his picture, here.
Until next time...