Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Best of 2014

It's that time of year again! It's our end of the year "let's see how 2014 was" round up that everybody either loves to hate or hates to love. I'm no exception. At the end of the year, I like to look at my most popular images, just so I too can see how I did last year.


2014 was a pretty good year for me photographically. I mean, I didn't do anything earth shattering, no, but I managed to get myself to Greece (Santorini) and I managed to sneak in some night shooting. I didn't do a lot of shows (that was be design actually. I wanted to take a bit of a break from the grind of show duty) but I did manage to get my work out there some.

According to Flickr, this was my most "Interesting" image of 2014, with "popularity" no doubt driven by the "help" of the good folks over at Utata. (Thanks again, It'sGreg, for such a wonderful front page write up.)

If I can speak about a general trend, I think I've been a bit influenced by narrative photography this past year. At least, I can see myself growing more into liking images that tell stories over images that inspire me visually. Sure, I'll always be a fine art photographer, with emphasis on the visual, the design, the compositional elements, but I think that there's also room for great storytelling in image making. No doubt, some of my favorite photographers have also been great story tellers, and I've always appreciated that kind of work, just never really done it myself. I think 2014 saw that start to change a bit. If I can say I was "evolving" any as an artist in 2014, I would have to say I've noticed a drift towards a more narrative style (well, ok slightly narrative style.)

This image was shot in the summertime, very near my house, over at the Cedar Park city pool, sometime after midnight on a hot summer night. 

All in all, not a bad year.

Until next year time time...



2 comments:

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Hi Carol,
I loved seeing your Santorini photos. Never been there myself, although I have been to a few other Greek islands.

As for drifting towards a more narrative style... I think all fine photos tell a story - about the photographer (how s/he chooses to portray the scene or situation, and what it is that s/he chooses to focus on anyway) and also about the scene itself. Don't you think...? Perhaps there is a 'narrative style' genre in photography that I'm not familiar with?

Wishing you a 2015 full of happy artistic and other developments.
x

Carol said...

Thanks, Janice! I hope you make it over to Santorini some day. It's very pretty.

As for the "narrative" style...I think there is a more "narrative" style in photography. People like Keith Carter, whose image really almost unfold a story before your eyes, as opposed to somebody more graphical or symbolic, that sort of a thing.

I think of it kind of like poetry vs. prose...both made up of words but the prose is more "narrative" of a style while the poetry is more like playing with the language.

But, yes, you're right in that all images can be said to have some kind of a "narrative" about them. They do tell a story on some level, maybe just some are more verbose than others.

Best of 2015 to you as well! Maybe we can meet up in 2015 should you happen to make it over to OK.