Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Drawing The Wrong Conclusions


ApproachingInterstate, originally uploaded by carolsLittleWorld.

Tonight starts my drawing sessions. Wish me luck.

The good thing about my drawing is that, well, I'm so *bad* at it that any little improvement is like a giant leap forward. If I draw a head and it winds up looking even slightly human, everybody's like, "Wow! Look at that! It's almost a person!" Almost. If you squint and twist your head a lot.

Another funny thing about my drawing is that, well, everybody thinks I can draw-everybody except for me. I talk to people, sometimes people I don't even know and they wind up telling me, "oh, you can draw." I'm thinking, "who are these people? And how do they know I can draw?" I guess I talk like I know how to draw and people just make assumptions. Or maybe they look at my pictures and they just think I can draw.

I was talking with my mother on the phone the other day. She told me that, from when I was little, "I was always drawing things. And we could recognize what they were." Oh, now there's a ringing endorsement if I ever heard one. "Look! You drew a head and it looks almost human! Why, Picasso himself had better watch out." Somebody help me. Now.

So, I got these cute little "art bins" to hold all of my drawing supplies, and I have my big, giant pad, and I'm going to march right in there and be like, "excuse me. I'm an absolute beginner. I can't draw worth a lick, though I've been told that, once, a long time ago, a drew a head and it look, um, er, human. Sorta."

Move over you people, I'm an ARTIST!

Oh right. I can paint. Really I can. And take pictures. I've done that before. There's even *proof* of that. But draw? Ha! Nope. (Had you fooled.) It's kind of funny because, even historically, everybody thought Leonardo couldn't draw. And just look where that got him! I wish I "couldn't" draw half as well as he "couldn't" draw. And now, here I sit with the opposite problem. Everybody thinks I can do it. For some reason I've got the "oh she looks like she can draw" look about me. And I can't, but that doesn't stop people from thinking that.

I guess it's sort of like handwriting. Everybody thinks that there's is messy and no good. The grass is always green on the other side...yada yada. Still, I'm telling you now: I can't draw worth a lick. No matter how impressive my little art bins looks. No matter how I sound like I know what I'm doing. No matter how many museums hang up my crap-on-a-stick-I can't do it very well. I'm just not good at this whole drawing thing. Really, I'm not.

Which brings me to my next point. I'm so bad at it, and I have such low expectations, that it's going to be FUN! Yay! I can hardly wait! Bring on the fingerpaints! I've got almost-human-like heads to draw! Out of my way! I've got smudges to smear on giant over-sized pads. There are charcoal sticks that must be crumbled and laughing that must ensue. "That's an ear?!? Good grief! Maybe I should make it a nose instead?!? I know, it could be somebody's chest if you turn it around this way." Oh what fun this is going to be. I'll be like a kid again.

Ha! Take that! I can't draw! (And yet, somehow, nobody believes me when I say that.)

Until next line...

3 comments:

mythopolis said...

I've never been good at realism when it comes to drawing. In fact, I have never been good at realism in general. Unreality is where it's at!

Peruby said...

Good luck! Maybe you just visualize things on a different level than everybody else and are having difficulty getting it down on paper. Like a genius who cannot speak in layman's terms. You go girl!

Carol said...

Mythopolis, I can almost do un-real. In fact, last night I drew a little turtle. It looks almost un-real, in a turtle-y kind of way. :~)

Peruby, thanks for the kind words. Instead of a "genius who cannot speak in layman's terms" I'm more like a layman who draws square circles. But, hey, I'm trying and that's all I can do really. Just keep practicing and, eventually, I'll get to "round" (somehow!)